Thursday, September 6, 2018

Writing the Scriptures - 3 Wonderful Discoveries!


I recently began writing the Scriptures...
No, I'm not adding anything to the Bible.
I'm writing what the Bible says - copying it - word for word in long-hand.

I began in Ephesians.
6 chapters,  17 pages of my handwriting.
Fun fact: My hand never got tired.

I discovered many things, here's three of them...
1.  When I take three or six word chunks and write them down, I have to examine each word - copy it exactly as it's written in my Bible - and as I do that, the words don't rush through my noggin.
They sink in.
They float there for a few seconds and sometimes I stop and take a minute to ponder.
(Maybe that's why my hand doesn't get tired.)
One of the first things I pondered is the fact that the Holy Spirit was given to us as a "deposit guaranteeing our inheritance" (Ephesians 1:14). Yes, the Holy Spirit is here to comfort and guide us, but I hadn't realized that the Holy Spirit is also a deposit - a guarantee or proof that Christ will return for us - in whom the Spirit dwells. Wow.
Ephesians is now full of doodle stars, underlined words and highlights where God revealed something new or cemented a truth into my heart. I'm so grateful.

2. Typically, reading my bible is something to get done.
Full disclosure - devotions were box to check.
I'm not proud of that but there it is.
Since I started writing the scriptures, I look forward to it. I think about it throughout my day and sometimes I write in the morning and afternoon. It's exciting to see what will pop out to me.
What nugget(s) will I find today?
(I've always liked a treasure hunt.)

3. There are A LOT of run-on sentences in the Bible. Which gives me hope, honestly. If the best selling book of all time contains a plethora of run-on sentences, one after the other, there's hope for my novel, right?! ;)

Have you ever written the scriptures?
I am surprised how much I enjoy it.
I've thought about writing the whole Bible, but honestly, the lists of begats in the Old Testament give me pause.
I'll keep you posted as I continue writing...next up, James. (We're going to study James at church so I thought I'd get a little jump start.)

Give writing the scriptures a try and let me know what you think.
You will be blessed, so very blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creativity...

I've been thinking a lot about creativity lately. About inspiration, style, perfection and the beauty of imperfection. I began a journey...