Friday, June 24, 2016

Fear; It's Not Going To Stop Me!


A few weeks ago, there was not a single semi-colon in my manuscript.
You may think that is an amazing feat.
I thought so.
Honestly, I didn't even think about it.
I ignored the semi-colon.
It scared me.
What am I supposed to do with that thing?
What purpose does it serve when I have full access to the period, the comma, the m-dash and my favorite...the ellipsis?

As I revised my manuscript and polished it to a gleaming shine,
My heart softened to the semi-colon.
I studied it.
I considered it.
Rather,
I studied it; I considered it.
I decided to give it a try in my novel.
Turns out, my manuscript needed a few semi-colons.
Fifty to be exact.
Perhaps it needs more; I'm not sure.

I'm at the point in the process where fear is taunting me, daring me to quit, telling me to give up my dream.
This is where I have to start selling my story.
I have to talk to agents and editors and convince them that it's worthy of their time - that my story is worth a risk.
The semi-colon has been a first step in that process.
That little punctuation mark; the dot and comma combo.
It doesn't seem to pack much of a punch, but...
The comma is common,
The ellipsis is easy...
The m-dash is obvious,
And the period is...well, straightforward.
The semi-colon, however, gave me pause.
And I conquered it.

Fear; it's not going to stop me!
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creativity...

I've been thinking a lot about creativity lately. About inspiration, style, perfection and the beauty of imperfection. I began a journey...